Answering the Call to a Great Commission Resurgence?
Our issues must not be caricatured or misrepresented. There is a void if not a vacum of leadership in the SBC. What is clear is that we need Godly men that will help us move forward.
Earlier Dr. Akin and others began discussing building on the Conservative Resurgence and beginning a Great Commission Resurgence. This will be wed to clear theological standards.
Why should we come together and how shall we come together?
- We are in agreement as to a common Confession of Faith to guide us, The Baptit Faith and message 2000
This statement is sufficient to guide us. Some confess more but we will not confess less than what this statement confesses.
- We are in agreement on the inerrancy, infallability and sufficiency of the Bible.
Some would say the battle for Bible is over. Dr. akin
- We are in agreement on the necessity of a regenerate church.
It is biblical
SB have always believed this.
- We are in agreement in the exclusivity of the Gospel.
The heresy of universalism is not welcome in the SBC. How can we who call him Lord do any less than make it exclusive.
- We are in agreement on the sinfulness and lostness of humanity apart from Christ.
- We are in agreement that salvation is by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone. Salvation is a free gift in which humans works plays no part.
We both approve God’s sovereignty and Man’s free will.
- We are in agreement that the Great Commission is a divinely mandated assignment given to the Church by the Lord Jesus and that it is a task we are to give ourselves until the end of the age.
There are too many non-Calvinist that talk the talk but do not walk the walk. we all have much to repent of. it is not our verbatim agreement on the Great Commission but it is our obedience to the Great Commission.
How can we come together?
I see Dr. Paige Patterson as my father in the ministry. I see Dr. Al Mohler as my best friend. Of the time I have been together with them both, I have never felt a tension to work together with either of them.
- Wee need a sound theology, not a soft theology or a straight-jacket theology.
Our agreement on the BF&M 2k is an asset not a liability. there is nothing soft about this theology.
We must be on guard against a Straight-Jacket Theology.
Dr. Akin vision for the future of the SBC. The BF&M2k is a well constructed canopy for the future.
- We need to let a biblical theology drive and determine our systematic theology.
We must have a text driven theological system. Will this force us to live with some tension? Yes.
- We need a revival of authentic expository preaching that will lead usto the genuine people of the book.
Too much of our current preaching sounds like Harry Fosdick Emersion. Also, too many preachers follow after the latest hermaneutical circus.
- We need the balance of a Great commission Theology.
Some Semi-Armenian friends need to become careful and better theologians. Some of my Hyper-active Calvinist friends need to get out of their office and on the mission field.
- We need to love and respect each other as brothers and sisters in Christ even though we are not in complete agreement on every point of theology.
When Dr. Rogers died many cried, some Calvinist responded as it was an open door for Calvinism to flourish in the SBC. However, the pendulum swings both ways. Comparing Calvinism to Muslims and fatalism is not helpful in debating these points.